Sunday, September 7, 2008

Heart Healthy

My wife just finished reading "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. I haven't read the book, but I like the straightforward approach hinted at by the cover: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

On a brief visit to Idaho this past summer (to celebrate the aforementioned 50th anniversary), we picked some of our own food to eat from a garden at the ranch where we stayed: green beans, snap peas, zucchini, pattypan squash, raspberries, carrots, lettuce. We also trekked to a patch of wild huckleberries and found enough to make a scrumptious huckleberry and peach cobbler.

There's nothing quite like eating fresh food that you picked and prepared yourself. It tastes great and feels right. It's almost enough to make a locavore out of me.

All that got me thinking about a short poem I gave to my Valentine last year.

I don't mind
the occasional bowl
of oatmeal,
or regular servings
of whole grain
goodness,

but it's my recommended
daily allowance
of you
that keeps
my heart
beating.

It's true – she does my heart good.

3 comments:

Maija-Liisa said...

I read her review of the book and it sounds like some great advice to follow. Our neighbors have been loading us up on garden produce and we also went huckleberrying! Check out our adventure at http://maijaliisa.blogspot.com. Aren't they yummy?!

Lauren Palmer said...

One of my good friends just read that and loved it. And, of course, I'd like to take some credit for nurturing those vegetables that you ate.

chattypatra said...

Ah, yes! Seems like us Pisces born on the 11th are romantic poets. Have you tried writing some in spanish?

You'll find both in my blog.

Hugs,


Your 'rrican birthday buddy

Add to Technorati Favorites